verse

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Everybody Counts

Baylor and his friends. His class was so well behaved!
They had to wear blindfolds and try to color three shapes that had been made with a cutter and had raised dots. They had to feel with their fingers and then color inside the lines.
All the kids liked trying out the walker and crutches in the physical disability station and learning some sign language.
I had the opportunity to help at Baylor's school today with the Everybody Counts program. I had volunteered back at the start of school and didn't really know what it entailed. When I got the packet at the end of last week I was a little worried because I had to do the introduction and one of the stations six different times. It worked out great though and it was fun to be back at NPE. Everybody Counts is a great program that teaches students about different disabilities and how everybody has feelings and wants friends. At the kindergarten level the stations focused on hearing impairments, visual impairments, and physical disabilities. At each stations there were hands on activities for the kids. I was in charge of the visual impairment station and the kids learned about the Braille alphabet, did a few activities with a blindfold, and a coloring activity. It was a fun and busy morning and I was worn out by the time it was over.

No comments: