verse

Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Need for Speed

Carl and Tom.
Ready to race.
Nicole and Carl.
Pappaw went to watch Tom and Baylor.
Baylor had a great time!
He even got to skip nap:).
Adrenaline Junkie - I am stricken with this sickness :)

Today my best friend, Carl, and I completed the Richard Petty Driving Experience at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
After a 30 minute instructional class, we donned our racing suits and helmets - they even put Hans devices on us for safety. Just like NASCAR, the steering wheel was removed and we climbed in through the window and settled into the seat. They strapped us in and we waited for our instructor car to pull in front of us.
Once it was my turn and my lead car was in front of me, they rolled me forward and had me press the clutch in......with the flip of a switch the 600 HP car roared to life. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.
During the instructional course, they made it clear that if you drive directly in the lead cars line and stay exactly 3 car lengths at all time you will maximize the speed they will let you go.
I hit a max speed of 142.35 MPH! The fastest you are allowed to go is 143 MPH - so I was thrilled.
I can't wait to do it again - I don't' think Jess feels the same way :)

No comments: